Website AFRICA MANAGEMENT SOLUTIONS LTD
Under the supervision of Project Superintendent & Foreman, Tree Service Technician are part of the larger field of grounds maintenance responsible for tree trimming and pruning, which may be made necessary by a number of factors. Trees may need to be removed because of disease or environmental factors, such as proximity of power lines or housing units, storm damage, or simple aesthetics. These specialists may also be called in to remove trees that have blocked roadways, sidewalks, or other areas.
Trees Service Technician are generally trained on the job, rather than having any formal schooling in tree maintenance. They employ sophisticated methods for scaling trees in order to remove part or all of plants that have been determined to be unnecessary. Using chainsaws, they work carefully, using all technologies available to accomplish their goals in a safe and professional manner. In some instances, tree service technicians may use truck mounted lifts in order to reach targeted limbs. Performs all work in a safe and professional manner. The incumbent will be working closely with the Superintendent – Grounds Care, Grounds Maintenance
· Operates chain saw to fell, de limb, and buck trees at the logging site and loading area.
· Assess site, terrain and weather conditions before felling trees.
· Maintain and repair chainsaws and other equipment, cleaning, oiling, and greasing equipment, and sharpening equipment properly.
· Saw back-cuts, leaving sufficient sound wood to control direction of fall.
· Stop saw engines pull cutting bars from cuts, and run to safety as tree falls.
· Trim off the tops and limbs of trees, using chainsaws, delimbers, or axes.
· Clear brush work areas and escape routes, and cut saplings and other trees from direction of falls, using chainsaw.
· Appraise trees for certain characteristic, such as twist, rot, and heavy limbs growth, and gauge amount and direction of lean, to determine how to control the direction of a tree’s fall with the least damage.
· Control the direction of a tree’s fall by scoring cutting lines with axes, sawing undercuts along scored lines with chainsaws, knocking slabs form cuts with single-bit axes, and driving wedges.
· Select trees to be cut down, assessing factors such as site and weather conditions before beginning work.
· Determine position, direction, and depth of cuts to be made, and placement of wedges or jacks.
· Insert jacks or drive wedges behind saws to prevent binding of saws and to start trees falling.
· Measure felled trees and cut them into specified log lengths, using chainsaws and axes.
· Assess logs after cutting to ensure that the quality and length are correct.
· Tag unsafe trees with high-visibility ribbons.
· Place supporting limbs or poles under felled trees to avoid splitting undersides, and to prevent logs from rolling.
· Secure steel cables or chains to logs for dragging by tractors or for pulling by cable yarding systems.
· Work as a member of a team, rotating between chain saw operation and skidder operation.
· Load logs or wood onto trucks, trailers, or railroad cars, by hand or using loaders or winches.
· Performs other duties as required.
Required Academic Qualifications, Experience and Competencies
· Must speak, read, and understand the English Language Fluently.
· Must pass overseas medical screening and be in good health
· Wear applicable P.P.E. at all times.
· Must have a valid Professional Driver’s License.
· Must be able to work outdoors in the tropics.
· Two (2) year experience grounds maintenance work desirable. Physical strength and stamina. Ability to work out doors in the tropics
· High school graduated is preferred.
· Must have a valid driver’s license.
Qualified and interested applicants who meet the specifications are requested to send their CVS to [email protected] by 9th September 2023. Indicate the position applied for and also attach copies of:
· Up-To-Date Resume (we need CV showing your career history up to today)
· All-work-related training certificate
· Education Certificates
· Employment certificate/Recommendation letters
· Passport Copy
· COVID-19 vaccination certificate
· Driving License Copy.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Net monthly Salary is $ 525
To apply for this job please visit jobs.amsol.africa.